[Devel] Re: [Freetype] where are the fonts ???

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: [Devel] Re: [Freetype] where are the fonts ???
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:01:52 +0400

On Monday 02 September 2002 12:28 pm, Riccardo Cohen wrote:
|  Hi,
|  If I build an application with freetype, I suppose that I must know where
| are the fonts in the hard disk. On windows I can try in
| "GetWindowsDirectory()/Fonts", but on Linux ??? and MacOsX ???
|
|  Thanks for any information...

Fonts are usually located at
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ (if you are running one of typical Linux
distributions)
but you can put them in A8ny* folder, and add that folder to
/etc/X11/XftConfig
You just need to re-run #xftcache after each modification of XftConfig
(Linux will do it automatically on startup/reboot, but you don't have to
reboot after editing XftConfig)

Anyway, easy way to serach for a fonts is to invoke:
#locate .pfb
or
#locate .ttf
--> than you will see what folders have those fonts.

Alternatively, you can invoke rpm and ask for 'fonts' packages:

address@hidden vad]$ rpm -qa | grep fonts
ghostscript-fonts-5.50-7mdk
XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.2.0-6mdk
fonts-ttf-west_european-1.3-9mdk