RE: [Devel] porting help

From: Graham Asher
Subject: RE: [Devel] porting help
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:09:42 +0100

Frank Miller said:

<<<<<<
I've been playing around with Freetype 2 for a bit now and really like
it.  I want to make it the core font rendering engine for a new OS
kernel.  The problem is I need to build the library completely
standalone.  This means that I will provide all the header files and
required functions.

Frank,

that is pretty much what I did when I used FreeType inside the Symbian OS
(aka EPOC). I had no problems at all with this approach. I didn't expose any
of the FreeType API functions but wrapped FreeType in a plug-in rasterizer
interface.

<<<<<<
So, should I just package up all source
files into a single directory, put together a Makefile that compiles
them all and then build a static (i.e. a .a) library or will it be more
complicated that that?

That will work fine.

Graham Asher