Re: [Devel] about FT layout

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] about FT layout
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 01:18:18 +0200 (CEST)

> How about the FT Layout project now?

Sleeping.

> Is it possible to view some demo?

No.

I've attended a conference on internationalization issues fur Linux in
Taipeh where I've met HIURA Hideki, one of the leading X developers.
Fact is that there are some projects which already do what FTL is
intended to do; most notably STSF (see stsf.sf.net) and ICU from IBM,
and Hideki convinced me that before we start with FTL, we have to
check how they do it.  The only justification IMHO for writing FTL is
to make it extremely small and modularized, suitable for embedded
systems.  Otherwise we are reinventing the wheel since e.g. STSF
already has a backend for FreeType 2.