Re: [OT font resolution -- was Re: [Devel] TrueType font-scaling]

From: Pavel Kankovsky
Subject: Re: [OT font resolution -- was Re: [Devel] TrueType font-scaling]
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 23:41:52 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Keith Packard wrote:

> I'm actually quite tempted to fix the Xft resolution to 96dpi unless
> reconfigured by the user.  It's clear that using 96dpi is better than
> using the "actual" display DPI.

Perhaps we should stop calling the value "dpi" because it is not supposed
to have any relation to (real) inches anymore?

> Anyone have a reason to consider using the "real" display DPI?

Occasionally, I need to fill boxes in some kind of preprinted form and it
helps (and saves a lot of paper and/or a lot of work with a ruler) when I
can display 1:1 preview on my screen and check it against the form. :)

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."