Re: [Devel] position of Combining Diacritical Marks

From: Holger Waechtler
Subject: Re: [Devel] position of Combining Diacritical Marks
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 07:52:12 +0200

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
The Glyph rectangle is there specified in a way that it
does not applies to the last Glyph like described in the
Unicode Spec but to the next one like used in console
combiner maps.

Is this a bug in the font or should other encodings get
special handling?

The glyph rectangle describes the real dimensions of the glyph.  You
probably mean the advance width, don't you?  You should use the
Unicode data base to check for the properties of the accent.  In case
it is described as `combining' simply don't apply the advance width.

Hmm, the advance width is zero, like specified. let me try to draw the situation:

    Accent         \                        \

    Origin   x                                   x

            Courier New                 Other fonts

The Accent would be applied to the next Glyph instead of the previous one, that's the problem I mean, therefore the String "Ha'llo" would have the Accent over the "a" with some fonts, and a mispositioned Accent over the fitst 'l' when rendered using Courier New.

Holger