[Devel] ChangeLog format

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Devel] ChangeLog format
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:57:36 +0200 (CEST)

About the ChangeLog format: Except the date line, all lines in a
ChangeLog file are indented by a tab (there is no further indentation
usually).  Additionally, the line length shouldn't exceed 78
characters.  There are two spaces between the date, the name, and the
email address (which should be in angle brackets).

About the contents: The file name should be preceded by `* '; after
it, the function (if any) follows in parentheses; if the code is
affected by an #ifdef, the name of it follows in brackets, followed by
a colon.  A change to a different function in the same file starts a
new line.  All entries should be full sentences, starting uppercase.
For consistency, please use two spaces after ending a sentence.
A comment relevant to all changes should start without an asterisk.

Example (hopefully the tabs appear correctly):

2002-07-25  Werner Lemberg  <address@hidden>

        This is a sample for a ChangeLog entry.

        * src/foo/bar.c (do_something) [HAVE_FOO]: Bla.  Bla bla.
        (something_different): Urps urps.  Urps.

        * src/foo/bar.h: Updated.

A major consequence is that changes should be listed per
function/variable/etc. whatever is appropriate.

Check the entries up to 2002-06-21 to see what I mean.

Please follow those rules for future entries; I'll fix the incorrect
ones soon.  I know that some of you think this is wasted time -- and
indeed, I invest a great amount of time to clean this up.  But it is
worth, really!  A concise ChangeLog is a must IMHO.