Re: [Devel] Apple patents (was `Some numbers smaller than some others')

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Devel] Apple patents (was `Some numbers smaller than some others')
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 16:13:44 +0400

Hello David!

On Monday 24 June 2002 2:43 am, David Turner wrote:
|  Hello Anthony,
|
|  Anthony Fok a écrit :
|  > On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 10:33:30AM +0200, Vincent Caron wrote:
|  > > On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 21:50, Sebastien BARRE wrote:
|  > > Seeing Mandrake's or RedHat's RPMs of FreeType compiled with the
|  > > TrueType bytecode interpreter, I could only think they purchased a
|  > > license from Apple. However Debian also ships FreeType compiled with
|  > > the bytecode interpreter, and they have a definitively clear policy
|  > > against patents.
|  >
|  > Neither Mandrake's or Red Hat's official freetype RPMs have the TrueType
|  > bytecode interpreter enabled, so they are safe.
|
|  They used to ignore the issue for a long time and shipped binaries with
|  the TrueType interpreter enabled. However, it seems they've became more
|  cautious now and just build and distribute the default package :-)

AFAIK Mandrake's FreeType RPM is compiled without TrueType ByteCode
interpreter turned On.
And it was without TT bytecode interpreter in LM 8.1 and LM 8.2, so I would
say, at least for one year. Don't remember about LM 8.0, though.

BTW: if someone wants FreeType2 RPMs with Bytecode interpreter enabled, he can
install TexStar RPMs.