Re: [Devel] Disabling the autohinter

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Disabling the autohinter
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:11:48 -0700

Around 12 o'clock on Jun 22, David Turner wrote:

> FT_DRIVER_HAS_HINTER is an internal macro and should never be
> used by client applications, so this is not a very good thing
> to do either. The only orking solutions I'm thinking of are:

>      In this specific case, the decision is local and can be changed
>      each time a glyph is loaded. But my opinion is that if you know
>      precisely when to disable/enable it, you can directly use the
>      "FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING" bit-flag anyway..

I want a local solution (global state is bad), and it looks like the only
impediment is the lack of an API to return whether the driver has a hinter
available.  Expose that and I'll be set.  I'd hate to break things for
16-bit machines; I still have a soft spot for the PDP-11...

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab