Re: [Devel] .afm parsing

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] .afm parsing
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 09:06:58 +0200

Hi Keith,

Keith Packard a écrit :

> Around 10 o'clock on Jun 4, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>
> > How shall this work?  For example, groff's metric files contain
> > additional information not available in the AFM files.  Do you suggest
> > that this data is added to the AFM files?
>
> I don't find data in the groff metric files that I examined which isn't
> present in the .AFM files; looking at the groff_font manual page I
> couldn't find anything obvious either.  I must just be missing something.

I'll leave that to Werner, since he's a groff expert :-)

> The basic goal is to delete the groff metric files and rely instead on the
> data provided from the actual font files (or .afm in the case of Type1
> fonts).  We'd still need some kind of mapping from the short groff font
> names to the whole family name, but that's not FreeType's problem.

understood :-)

> My aim is to make FreeType *the* API for dealing with all aspects of font
> data.  It's an evil plan, bent on making freetype one of the most crucial
> pieces of every system around; eventually I expect to be running Debian
> GNU/FreeType/Linux on my machines...

I don't know if it's evil, but I do not necessarily think that's it's
a very good idea. There are many problems with fonts that cannot be
fixed by using just FreeType and FontConfig. Sorry for not giving more
details right now, but I'm preparing code and an article to demonstrate
this...

Regards,

- David Turner