[Devel] Re: [Freetype] Bad truetype rendering? still not satisfied!!

From: Brian Stell
Subject: [Devel] Re: [Freetype] Bad truetype rendering? still not satisfied!!
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 07:27:38 -0800

David Turner wrote:
> Just a clarification:
>
>   the glyphs are not identical in your example. It
> seems that you didn't use FT2 correctly and are displaying
> scaled/unhinted text.

This is a very important issue for me.

If one does not mind the blurring the FreeType2 glyphs
definitely have a nicer feeling of the style of the font.

If one does mind the blurring then the FreeType1 glyphs are
sharper but less representative of the style of the font.

Is the demo program ftview appropiate for testing FT2
settings?

When I use ftview with autohinting enabled I get dropouts.
For example on LongIsland Regular at 14 points the top of the
capital 'C' drops out. It looks visually like the top is
being clipped. Almost the very first feedback on my
Mozilla builds was about this dropout issue.

--
Brian Stell