Re: [Devel] Fonts with glyphs containing zero contours

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Fonts with glyphs containing zero contours
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 20:38:32 -0800

Around 1 o'clock on Feb 8, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Detlef_W=FCrkner?= wrote:

> IMHO setting face->bbox to the accelerator metrics (bounding box in
> pixels) and face->units_per_EM to 1 (as in the html docs) would be ok.

Yes, that seems correct -- the accelerators contain the bounding box for
all of the glyphs in pixels.

> Before changing the width/height calculation again (would suggest to
> use the accelerator metrics after accelerator loading is fixed and
> nothing else) I want to wait for feedback whether to use pixels or
> points for width/height.

Yes, you should ignore the properties and use only the information found
in the accelerator table and the other metrics.  Those are computed
exactly by the font compiler and relied upon by the X server.

Certainly the face->available_sizes values should be in pixels; I suggest
using ascent + descent for both width and height; the current semantics
for FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes makes using asymetric values impractical.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab