[Devel] Fonts with glyphs containing zero contours

From: Keith Packard
Subject: [Devel] Fonts with glyphs containing zero contours
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 23:09:28 -0800

I've discovered that even common fonts contain glyphs which are not
supposed to be blank that have no contours defined for the outlines.
The venerable 'courier new' font (http://keithp.com/~keithp/fonts/cour.ttf)
has three glyphs encoded in the unicode map at 0x2591, 0x2592 and 0x2593
with no contours.  Those are normally the light, medium and dark shade
glyphs so it's not surprising they're omitted from the font, what's
surprising is that the unicode map includes references to three blank
glyphs in their place.

Perhaps, however, the glyph loader is simply broken.  Please find enclosed
a trivial test program that lists all of the glyphs in the BMP section of
the Unicode mapping which have no contours.

If this methodology looks sound, I'm going to include this test as a part
of building the unicode coverage map for my font configuration library.
Towards that end, can anyone suggest a set of FT_LOAD flags that would
cause minimal work within the library?  All I need is to load the
contours to check their count.

-keith