Re: [Devel] Enumerating font encoding

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Enumerating font encoding
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 13:12:09 -0500

Around 14 o'clock on Jan 24, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> Can you make a suggestion how such an API should look like?  I can
> imagine an FT_Get_{Prev,Next}_Char_Index function, returning the
> previous and next character index of a given index.  If given a
> negative value, the extrema of the whole charmap are returned.

>From my perspective, the API could look like:

        FT_Error
        FT_Get_Chars (FT_Face face, FT_ULong first, FT_ULong last,
                      FT_ULong masks[], FT_ULong *next);

This would treat 'masks' as a boolean array and fill it with data
indicating which of the glyphs from first to last were present in the
encoding.  *next would be filled in with the next glyph available after
last.

I use a btree to hold a sparse boolean array within my font config library;
this interface would match that nicely.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab