Re: [Devel] C++ API for FreeType - Portability

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Devel] C++ API for FreeType - Portability
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 16:43:43 +0000

On Friday 11 January 2002 23:40, Manuel Bleichenbacher wrote:
|   None of the major libraries in the open source world is written in C++.
|   That's for good reasons.

Pardon?
Qt2 and Qt3 are written in C++.
Both version of Qt library are pretty well portable - you can find it on
FreeBSD, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX (in addition to all Linux distributions)

[...]
|   The situation arises for example on Solaris, where you find three
| different popular compilers: Sun C++ 4.x, Sun C++ 5.x /6.x and gcc. They
| are completely incompatible with regard to the produced code. They might
| compile the same piece of C++ code but they generate code with incompatible
| object layouts and their runtime libraries are in conflict. I know less
| about the situation with Linux compilers but I could image that the
| situation is similar with gcc 2.xx, gcc 3.xx and the Intel compilers.

major release means *incompatibility*  between binaries.
So, answer is "yes": gcc2 is not binary compatible with gcc3.

|   And last but not least, a lot of embedded systems have no C++ compiler
| and thus would have no new freetype versions.

Qt/Embedded is also C++.
It's ported to Sharp Zaurus (part of standard distribution) and works on
Compaq iPaq.
Qtopia (QT/Palmtop Environment) is written in C++

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)