Re: [Devel] 2.1.0 branch created

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] 2.1.0 branch created
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:56:40 +0100

Hello Artur,

Artur Zaprzala a écrit :

> David Turner wrote:
>
> >So the question really boils down to:
> >
> >  A - is there enough interest in a C++ version of the library
> >      (and more especially a C++ native API)
> >
> >  B - would doing so drastically reduce our development time
> >      (man-years ??)
> >
> FreeType is now a core Linux library so you should get to know the
> opinion of wider community. Post your questions on Slashdot.

Humm.. I suspect we won't get any interesting information from doing
so. Instead, I predict that the article's comments will quickly
(i.e. after 2 posts) turn into one of the following:

  - a C/C++ flame-fest with 0.001% objective information
    which we're already aware of

  - a pile of completely _uninformed_ opinion on FreeType,
    TrueType, font technology, X11, C, C++, etc..

  - a long point-less discussion about anti-aliased text
    (it hurts my eyes, no it doesn't, etc...)

  - a Gnome/KDE flame-war (because the latter "supports"
    AA text better than the former), etc..

Slashdot (motto: "Mis-information at your fingertips") is certainly
_not_ the best place to look for such opinion.

Maybe we could organize a poll. It's currently not possible on the
main FreeType server, but maybe SourceForge already has all what it
takes to set up something quick and simple..

We could advertise the poll on Slashdot, I just don't want to use
this "medium" to get our information..

Remember "Apple sues FreeType" ??

Cheers,

- David