[Devel] Myserious warning message

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Devel] Myserious warning message
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 21:42:23 +0100 (CET)

I get a very mysterious warning message while compiling ftview.c:

  In file included from src/ftview.c:20:
    /home/ft/freetype2/include/freetype/cache/ftcmanag.h:119:
      warning: declaration of `index' shadows global declaration

There is no global declaration of an `index' variable AFAIK (the
function declaration of `index' in string.h is not triggering the
warning -- commenting out the line changes nothing, as expected).

Attached is ftview with all include files expanded (using cpp); I've
used the following gcc call (this is from `make devel' of FT2):

  gcc -c -g -O0 \
      -Wall \
      -W \
      -Wundef \
      -Wshadow \
      -Wpointer-arith \
      -Wwrite-strings \
      -Wstrict-prototypes \
      -Wredundant-decls \
      -Wnested-externs \
      -Wno-long-long \
      -o xxx.o \
      xxx.c

This warning message appears with both gcc version 2.95.3 and 3.0.1 on
my Linux box.

Can someone enlighten me, explaining what's going on here?  Or is
this a compiler bug?  It's not an important thing anyway, but I'm a
curious person :-)