Re: [Devel] Re: Why is it that Xfree86 ships libfreetype.so.7 and the la

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: Why is it that Xfree86 ships libfreetype.so.7 and the latestFreetype release ships libfreetype.so.7
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:38:45 -0800

Around 11 o'clock on Nov 16, David Turner wrote:

> I know, apparently the problem comes from the fact that XFree86 provides
> its own version of FreeType in /usr/X11R6/lib (for use by Xft), while
> some distributions also install it in /usr/lib

I've been encouraging distributions to make sure their own XFree86 packages
don't include FreeType and use the version in /usr/lib, but there's not
much I can do about people installing XFree86 on top of an existing system.
Perhaps the XFree86 binary installer could do a better job avoiding
preexisting libraries.

In another year or so, when most people are running distributions that
include FreeType 2, we'll be able to change the default build of XFree86 to
*not* build FreeType and rely instead on the system version.

I will also make sure XFree86 4.2 gets the latest version of FreeType
before it ships.

address@hidden   XFree86 Core Team              SuSE, Inc.