Re: [Devel] Adding a new function, question about face's alloced memory

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: Re: [Devel] Adding a new function, question about face's alloced memory
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 16:44:34 -0500 (EST)

Hi Antoine,

(where were you at in Amsterdam?)

> > The idea is for this function to be used with non-CID keyed CFF fonts
> > and Type 1 fonts (hence, the char code is always in the range 0 -- 255,
> > which is why I chose FT_Byte for the char_code parameter).
>
> Hmmm, this is the kind of "optimizations" I do not find useful.
>
> I see the same function as useful for type 4.0 'post' tables in 'sfnt'
> (TrueType) fonts, where the names of the characters, highly repetitive
> (like a0101, a0102, a0103, etc.) are encoded as 16-bit quantities;
> however, there may be as much as 65,536 characters in such a font, so
> your function won't do the job. :-(

I guess you did not read that this function is for (pure) non-CID CFF and Type 1
fonts, which can only encode 256 glyphs at a time.  OpenType/CFF fonts can
access more than 256 glyphs at a time, but that is because an OpenType/CFF font
(as you well know) is basically a TT font (and hence has a cmap table).  Of
course, a CID keyed CFF font can "encode" more than 256 glyphs at a time, but
such a font doesn't have encoding index datra, and the CID to glyph index
mapping
is accomplished through the CharSet index data (in which case, a SID is treated
as a CID).

Unless you were proposing that I write this function to additionally get glyph
names for a given char code when working with TT fonts.  In which case, I have
to take into account cmaps.  Which is what I wanted to avoid in the first
place...

Tom