Re: [Devel] Java port of FreeType

From: John Leuner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Java port of FreeType
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 18:53:24 +0000

> > I am interested in doing a port of freetype 2 to Java.
> >
> Do you want to provide Java bindings for the FreeType 2 API or
> instead "rewrite" the engine in Java ??

I never had any plans for bindings, but:

a) is there a need for this?
b) how hard would it be?

Writing them would be a good way to learn a bit more about freetype.

> In the latter case, I believe that you'd probably better rewrite
> the engine completely, for at least two reasons:
>
>   - its internal design tends to change more or less often, when
>     we add features, modules or simply cleanup some internal thingies.
>     it's also an order of magnitude more complex than FreeType 1,
>     believe me.. !!
>
>   - the engine has been written in C, and I'm pretty confident that
>     copying it straight into a Java program is going to create a few
>     problems..

I don't want to start a project that will require so much effort.

Is it possible that I could somehow implement one part of FT in java?

Is there a module that has a very 'clean' interface to the rest of the
code (something that could be implemented with a few JNI methods)?
(Performance doesn't matter)

I would like to have a way of learning about freetype incrementally.

> > Is there anyone who would like to help with this effort?
> >
> We can help if you want some help on writing some JNI wrapper for the
> library. As for a complete rewrite, it's a very time-consuming task,
> with little direct benefits to us for the moment, which is why you'll
> probably not find support from the core developers..
>
> However, that doesn't mean that you couldn't find someone interested
> in helping you on this list..

I didn't expect the core developers to be interested :-)

But there might be others who could see the use of this?

I have waited a while for your CVS move and changes to the autohinter.
Has that stabilised?

John Leuner

This email and any attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the
intended recipient. They may contain material protected by legal professional
or other privilege. If you are not the intended recipient or the person
responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, you are not authorised to
and must not disclose, copy, distribute or retain this email or its
attachments. Although this email and its attachments are believed to be free of
any virus or other defect, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure
that they are virus free and no responsibility is accepted by the company for
any loss or damage arising from receipt or use thereof.

The views expressed in this email may not necessarily be those of, or supported
by, the company.