[Devel] Latest updates

From: David Turner
Subject: [Devel] Latest updates
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:59:04 +0100

Hello,

  for those interested in testing the latest features in FT2,
  I have recently commited interesting updates to the CVS source tree:

   - various (small) improvements to the auto-hinter, which improve
     its quality, especially with sans-serif fonts. Note that serifed
     fonts and many composites are still problematic though, but in
     certain cases, the auto-hinter performs better than the native
     Postscript one (e.g. using the Ghostscript fonts, which contain
     really bad hinting data :-()

   - experimental support for "gamma correction", this tends to
     make glyphs more legible and smoother at small pixel sizes.
     The gamma function is extremely simple but the results are
     rather pleasant with hinted glyphs (on the other hand, it
     decreases the quality of un-hinted text slightly)

  I welcome any comments on these topics.. There are of course still
  many things to do..

Regards,

- David