Re: [Devel] [SF BUG #461386 ] ftjam seg-fault in compile.c

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Devel] [SF BUG #461386 ] ftjam seg-fault in compile.c
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:44:45 +0200

> Submitted By: David L Jung (djung) on 2001-09-14 01:36
>
>               (not sure if this is the appropriate place to report
>               this - or to boost.org)
>
>               I'm using the 2.3.5 ftjam sources compiled under Redhat
>               7.2 (beta) using gcc 2.96 (rehat)
>               I'm using it for my own project but with .jam files
>               from the boost build system.
>
>               When trying to use the <lib> feature for a target I get
>               a segmentation fault in ftjam (output from gdb):
>
>               Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>               0x08049d8e in evaluate_rule (rulename=0x80c7f68
>               "$(gGENERATOR_FUNCTION($(target-type)))",
>               args=0xbfffc9c0) at compile.c:524
>
>               This is the line that reads:
>
>               rule = bindrule( l->string );
>
>               for some reason, l is 0 at this point. Is was assigned
>               a few lines before as:
>
>               LIST* l;
>
>               l = var_expand( L0, rulename,
>               rulename+strlen(rulename), args, 0 );
>
>               in this case rulename contains
>               "$(gGENERATOR_FUNCTION($(target-type)))"

More informations in [ #461389 ] ftjam seg-fault in compile.c (cont.)

              (couldn't figure out how to add to the previous bug)

              Some extra info...

              I turned on DEBUG_VAREXP in expand.c and got the
              followig output. It doesn't look correct to me, but I
              don't really understand what's happening.

              expand '$(target-files)'
              expand 'target-files'
              expanded to <test/base/gcc/debug/runtime-link-dynamic>base
              expand '$(gTARGET_SOURCES($(<)))'
              expand 'gTARGET_SOURCES($(<))'
              expand '<'
              expand ')'
              expanded to gTARGET_SOURCES(<test>base)
              expanded to
              expand '$(gGENERATOR_FUNCTION($(target-type)))'
              expand 'gGENERATOR_FUNCTION($(target-type))'
              expand 'target-type'
              expand ')'
              expanded to
              expanded to

              (then var_expand [expand.c] returns null causing the
              segfault)