Re: [Devel] FT 1.x updated to OpenType 1.3

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] FT 1.x updated to OpenType 1.3
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 08:17:59 +0200 (CEST)

> Have a look at the enclosed snapshot (my apologies for the size of
> it; I wouldn't have posted anything more than 200k). The RHS is the
> 'old' and the LHS is the 'new'. The xterm's title bar represents the
> baseline as positioned for the first glyph of the diagonal groups in
> 'old'. IMHO, it is well-positioned for those first glyphs.
>
> OTOH, when looking at 'new', this baseline is not correct for the
> last glyphs of the diagonal groups. I do not see a baseline which
> would match all the words, esp. the last two words.

Sorry for the late reply.  I've just checked the last glyph in the
string -- the attached image shows all glyphs with no vertical offsets
(i.e., with disabled GPOS) -- its default position is indeed that
high.  There are two possibilities:

  . The used font (msfarsi version 0.3) is strange.

  . My understanding how cursive connections in OpenType work has a
    flaw.

To test this I need a different font with cursive connections -- who
has such a font?  I'll also contact Paul Nelson from Microsoft, the
designer of this font, asking him for a rendering.

    Werner

PNG image