Re: [Devel] Autohint Outline Flag Bug

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Autohint Outline Flag Bug
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 18:29:44 +0200

Hello Allean,

> Depending on whether you've loaded a Type1 or a TrueType font, the sense of
> the contours are reversed, counter-clock-wise for Type1 and clockwise for
> TrueType.

Well, that's the theory, since there exist a bunch of broken fonts with
regards to this "convention", both in TrueType and Type 1 formats
(ah, the hasards of automatic font conversion :-)

That's why the auto-hinter doesn't use the flag in the original
glyph, but computes it automatically based on the glyph content's.
It's certainly slower but works well.

Thanks for spotting that the flag wasn't passed to the auto-hinted
outline though. I still wonder wether we need to pass it as-is,
even if it is wrong, or "fix" it when the glyph goes through the
auto-hinter (the problem is that the "fixing" will not happen
if the glyph is not auto-hinted !!)

Humm.. passing the original is probably more "secure", but this
needs moving the orientation-detection code to FT_OUTLINE_H to
ensure that applications aren't going to do strange things..

I'll probably do that next week. Thanks for passing the information..

Regards,

- David