Re: [Devel] BUG: shlib search paths on ELF format.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] BUG: shlib search paths on ELF format.
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 10:30:55 +0200 (CEST)

> Some demo programs in ft2demos fails on NetBSD,
> because the run-time loader does not know where libX11 is located.
> (See http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/elf.html#rpath)
>
> % ftview 20 COUR.TTF
> Shared object "libX11.so.6" not found

This is a known problem.  The real solution would be to add
`configure' support, but I don't have time to do that.  Volunteers?

The other solution (as documented in graph/x11/rules.mk) is to use
X11_PATH:

  # We try to detect the following directories (in that order) in the
  # current path:
  #
  #   X11   (usually a symlink to the current release)
  #   X11R6
  #   X11R5
  #
  # If the variable X11_PATH is set (to specify unusual locations of
  # X11), no other directory is searched.  More than one directory
  # must be separated with spaces.  Example:
  #
  #   make X11_PATH="/usr/openwin /usr/local/X11R6"