Re: [Devel] Jamfiles in ft2demos

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Jamfiles in ft2demos
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:44:29 +0200

Hi again,

Werner LEMBERG a écrit :

> Some comments to the Jamfiles in ft2demos:
>
> . It is a nice thing that `jam' automatically builds freetype also
>   (after my latest fix even in the right location), but currently,
>   `make clean' removes libfreetype.a too which isn't nice.  I suggest
>   to change that (well, I must admit that I don't know yet how to do
>   this).

Actually, I don't think that the Jamfile in "ft2demos" should compile
the library itself. What we need is to "find" the FreeType 2 library
on the system (e.g. through ./configure) in order to modify the
"Jamrules", which will contain something like:

  FT2_INCLUDE   = ../freetype2/include ;
  FT2_LIB       = ../freetype2/objs/libfreetype.a ;
  FT2_LINKFLAGS = ;

or even

  FT2_INCLUDE   = ;  # assumes /usr/local/include
  FT2_LIB       = ;
  FT2_LINKFLAGS = -lfreetype ;

this is just an example.. Of course, the problem is that there is
absolutely nothing portable to deal with "installed libraries lookup",
unless we write a special tool to do that :-)

I guess, we should use "./configure" for Unix, and something different
(but simple) for Dos-Windows-OS/2..

> . The build happens in the `objs' directory, not in `obj'.  We shall
>   probably apply similar changes as in the freetype2 module.

it was already changed a _long_ time ago :-)

> . Shall binaries go to `bin'?

If you like, the current Jamfile of "ft2demos" is not completed yet,
as the CVS Log indicates :-) Feel free to update it as you like..

- David