Re: [Devel] fixed pitch fonts: should isFixedPitch be honoured?

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] fixed pitch fonts: should isFixedPitch be honoured?
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:09:44 -0800

Around 17 o'clock on Mar 23, David Turner wrote:

> It's not that we could ignore the isFixedPitch flag from the "post" table,
> _if_ we have another test that is sufficiently reliable to replace this..

I've discovered quite a few fonts which don't set this flag, so I've
started simply ignoring it.  The only reliable mechanism I know of is to
walk the font and look at the advance widths of every glyph.

However, I fear that even "monospaced" fonts will have varying advance
widths.  Right now, I have the application tell me whether it wants
monospacing and then force the advance widths to the maximum value for the
font.  That works, but doesn't allow the application to locate a font
based on this property.

address@hidden   XFree86 Core Team              SuSE, Inc.