RE: [Devel] error with configuring...

From: Wanda Belvin
Subject: RE: [Devel] error with configuring...
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:28:56 -0700

Below is the error I received when trying to configure on HP-UX 11.0.
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
> create executables.

Below is the information from the config.log file:

his file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:588: checking host system type
configure:609: checking target system type
configure:627: checking build system type
configure:653: checking for gcc
configure:766: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
configure:782: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
as: "/var/tmp/ccQvAI0c.s", line 15: error 1052: Directive name not
recognized -
NSUBSPA
configure: failed program was:

#line 777 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}

Can anyone shed some insight on how to correct/avoid this error?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Wanda

> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
> create executables.

The configure script creates a logfile (config.log) in builds/unix;
there you can find the reason for the failure.  Please send the
relevant snippet to the list.