[Devel] 16, 32, and 64 bit ints [was: Patch needed to compile freetype-2

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: [Devel] 16, 32, and 64 bit ints [was: Patch needed to compile freetype-2.0.1 on Windows XP64 Beta 1]
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 12:19:48 -0500 (EST)

One of my points is that I wanted to look at the casts (I failed to mention this
the first time).  Casts are fine, but the more we can avoid them, the better.
I want to investigate how we can use a 32 bit int as FT_Long on a 64 bit box and
avoid some of the issues we have seen, etc...  That is, for those things we
know are supposed to be 32 bits wide, use int32_t, or some such.  This would go
a long way torwards getting rid of unnecessary casts and make the code more
robust
for 64 bit and 16 bit platforms, etc...

There already is some code in FT that takes this into account (FT_Int16,
FT_Int32,
etc...), but that is for specific things.  I'd like to see this propogated
through
out FT2.  Use of long on a 64 bit box for what is supposed to be a 32 bit int
has
been a problem in the past, which we cleaned up by using casts.  Thre has got
to be
a better way of doing all of this...

As we don't use autoconf on *all* platforms, we will have to do this with macro
magic.

I don't think I am the only one that feels this way...  I'll have to go dig
through
my mail to find out the other "culprits."

What do you think about that?

Tom