RE: [Devel] Re: Distiller produced PFA problems

From: Blinn, Eric W
Subject: RE: [Devel] Re: Distiller produced PFA problems
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:32:37 -0600

Tom Kacvinsky wrote:

> I found the problem, finally.  There is bug in FreeType that
> reports there is no CharStrings dictionary when there is one.
> Adding a FontInfo dictionary causes the false report to go
> away.  I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks for all the effort Tom.  Since you've found the problem
this information probably has little value, but you had asked
in another message about whether I had added a dummy FontInfo
dictionary when testing your fix on my platforms.  I had not,
but the analysis you gave pretty well explains how the dummy
FontInfo data was masking the CharStrings dictionary bug at
your end.

> Eric, I hope this isn't causing you too much stress, what
> with the 11th hour show stopper you were referring to...

Well, maybe only a couple days of stress!  :-)
It looked like it could hold up our release, but since then
we have done a risk analysis.  With the data we're handling,
we don't think it will be a problem in the immediate future
but it could be (likely will be) down the road.  Now that
you have a handle on the problem, I'll just roll whatever
fix you settle on into our next release (or perhaps even this
one if circumstances permit).

Thanks,
Eric