[Devel] Re: Distiller produced PFA problems

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: [Devel] Re: Distiller produced PFA problems
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:16:21 -0500 (EST)

Hi Eric,

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Blinn, Eric W wrote:

> > Attached is patch that handles the Subrs problem and the FontMatrix
> > problem.  Let me know if it works for you, or if you see any problems
> > with it...
>
> Hi Tom.  I tried the patch and it does get around the missing subrs problem.
> Of course it should come as no surprise that T1_Open_Face() proceeds to
> error out anyway because of the missing charstrings array.  So unfortunately
> the missing FontInfo dictionary still results in FT_New_Face() eventually
> returning FT_Err_Invalid_File_Format.

Huh?  The font you sent me has a CharStrings array!  Did you send me the wrong
font?  I am working with the latest CVS version, so if you are using an earlier
version of the code, that might be the cause of the problem...

> > The question is this: if there is no FontInfo dictionary in the font,
> > should we add default values?  What should these defaults be?  If we
> > don't add defaults, perhaps we ought to make the return value alongs
> > the lines of FT_Error_Missing_FontInfo and leave it up to the user of
> > FreeType to supply what they think are reasonable values...
>
> Before integrating FreeType into our application, we were using Ghostscript
> to rasterize fonts.  Ghostscript rasterizes the Distiller produced PFA's
> okay, and everything looks alright (at least on the surface).  I took a peek
> at some of the Ghostscript code and documentation.  It looks like they are
> well aware that some Type 1 fonts don't have a FontInfo dictionary.  I can
> see where they have defined a dummy FontInfo, and they may also be
> defaulting some missing data. Something similar in FreeType would be great,
> but at the very least returning an error code along the lines of
> FT_Error_Missing_FontInfo would allow me to try to fill in some blanks and
> make use of what is there.

I'll leave this up the the main FreeType guys to decide.  Either way (dummy
values, or allow one to fill these values in) is fine with me...

Tom