[Devel] Custom encodings with T1 fonts?

From: Leonard Rosenthol
Subject: [Devel] Custom encodings with T1 fonts?
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:25:31 -0500

I'm currently working with Derek Noonburg to replace Xpdf's (<http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf>) current use of FT1 and T1lib with FT2. Replacing FT1 with FT2 for use on TrueType fonts was pretty easy and is working fine in an internal build, but Derek is having some problems with Type 1 and Type 1 C fonts. Here is what he wrote me:

At 3:46 PM -0800 1/7/01, Derek B. Noonburg wrote:
Using FreeType 2 for Type 1 and Type 1C fonts is going to be a problem.
For Type 1 fonts, FT2 sets up an "Adobe custom" cmap, which is supposed
to use whatever encoding is given in the font file, and which is exactly
what I want.  Except that some embedded Type 1 fonts have a completely
bogus encoding, which is ignored in favor of the encoding given in the
PDF Font dict.  T1lib lets me directly set an encoding, which is how I
got around it there.  Do you know if there's any way to do this with
FT2?  Also, Type 1C (CFF) fonts show 0 cmaps (face->num_charmaps after
calling FT_New_Face) - I haven't looked into this yet.

So, does anyone have any thoughts for Derek?

Leonard
Leonard Rosenthol                       <mailto:address@hidden>
Sr. Software Engineer                   (215) 922-3509 (voice)
Digital Applications                    (215) 440-0504 (fax)

PGP Fingerprint: 8CC9 8878 921E C627 0BC1  15BB FC19 64A9 0016 1397