RE: [Devel] FT2 + cygwin

From: Fleischer, Karsten (K.)
Subject: RE: [Devel] FT2 + cygwin
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:34:20 -0500

Hi David,

> I know about the infamous DLL issue, it's the main reason why I don't
> use Cygwin on Windows :-)

That's the reason why I switched to UWIN now ;-)

> Does the Cygwin Bash shell defines the "OS" and "COMSPEC" environment
> variables by default. If not, a Win32 system will not be detected and
> we'll only need to detect Cygwin in "build/unix/detect.mk"

Yes, this is the main problem. I removed Cygwin detection and from Cygwin's
bash shell I get the following weird output:

--8<--
freetype2-current> gmake
gmake: ver: Command not found
FreeType build system -- automatic system detection
The following settings are used:
ÿÿplatformÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿwin32
ÿÿcompilerÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿgcc
ÿÿconfiguration directoryÿÿÿÿÿÿ./builds/win32
ÿÿconfiguration rulesÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ./builds/win32/w32-gcc.mk
If this does not correspond to your system or settings please remove the
file
config.mk from this directory then read the INSTALL file for help.
Otherwise, simply type make again to build the library.
copy: not found
gmake: *** [dos_setup] Error 127
--8<--

The "ver: Command not found" comes from DOS auto-detection, "copy: not
found" is from builds/detect.mk. The latter means that you can't continue
building by simply typing gmake, because config.mk is not copied to the
top-level directory.

Copying builds/win32/w32-gcc.mk to config.mk by hand will help. FreeType is
being compiled and only one error message is issued:

--8<--
del .\obj\freetype.a 2> nul 2> nul
del: not found
gmake: [obj/freetype.a] Error 127 (ignored)
--8<--

But I still prefer that Cygwin would have been detected as a UNIX system...

COMSPEC is not defined in UWIN, but OS. So only NT/W2k System are detected.
On UWIN I get the following:

--8<--
$ gmake

FreeType build system -- automatic system detection

The following settings are used:

  platform                     win32
  compiler                     gcc
  configuration directory      ./builds/win32
  configuration rules          ./builds/win32/w32-gcc.mk

If this does not correspond to your system or settings please remove the
file
config.mk from this directory then read the INSTALL file for help.

Otherwise, simply type make again to build the library.

/bin/sh: line 1: copy: not found
gmake: *** [dos_setup] Error 127
--8<--

Again, w32-gcc.mk is not being copied.
Copying w32-gcc.mk by hand will work, if you have GCC installed and in your
path. For vanilla UWIN w32-vcc.mk is the right thing.

Again, if UWIN was detected as a UNIX system, configure would have found the
right compiler.

> Bweurk.. :-( Better to completely forget about Cygwin auto-detection
> from the Win command prompt then..

Yes. Ditto for UWIN.

> Well, we're not going to add support for this until someone
> is _really_
> interested in it :-)

Well, I _am_ really interested! But I could add it myself and mail you the
necessary changes. But we have to agree _how_ auto-detection of UWIN/Cygwin
(and disabling Win32/DOS detection) could be done.

> Odes UWIN provides a Bash shell ??

UWIN is developed mainly by David Korn, so guess which shell is provided by
default ;-)

Cheers,

Karsten