Re: [Devel] Optimizatins to ttinterp.c

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Optimizatins to ttinterp.c
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 14:30:35 +0100 (CET)

> > The big gain came from TT_MulDiv().  It turns out that all the
> > other time soaking functions end up calling it.  Since TT_MulDiv
> > is exported from the library, this would need some cleaning up,
> > but it boils down to...
>
> I'm wondering whether it would be better to use a floating point
> version for most high end machines?  (once we have a glyph, the
> render would still be better in fixed point, but there is a lot of
> chance of bugs in complex code that performs scaling or sqrts using
> fixed point operations for things like glyph extent calculation.)

I see two possible improvements.

  1) As suggested, provide an FT_Inline macro together with some
     comments for `hot' functions.

  2) Change the makefiles a bit so that it is easy for developers to
     provide a replacement file for ftcalc.c.

I won't touch the FT 1 code (volunteers welcome), but we face the same
problem for FT 2.

BTW, are you able to do some profiling for FT 2, possibly testing
other font drivers also?