Re: [Devel] I achieved success porting FreeType2 into OUR system BUT...

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] I achieved success porting FreeType2 into OUR system BUT...
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 11:42:08 +0100

Hello,

> Hello Mr. devel(?)!

"devel" is only a short form for "developer" :-)

> I successed porting Freetype2 into our system. thank for your cooperation.
> But I have a big problem in applying to our software.
> The problem is that rendering  speed is too slow.
> For example, string "ALPHACAST2000" take 4 seconds time. It's too slow.
> Our system is embedded system(Set-top-box).
> What can I do for that?

The numbers you're giving are _really_ surprising, because FT2 is
already used on TV set-top-boxes and displays text a lot faster than
4 s for a 13-letter word. I have seen it running very well with
a 16 Mhz processor.. (displaying web pages on a TV)

What text size are you using to display "ALPHACAST2000" by the way,
I could think of a few ways to improve performance for very large
text, but the 4s delay seems incredibly too large..

> Could you help me? Please.
> I will be waiting for your answer ardently.
> Have a nice day!!

Unfortunately, I don't think we're able to do anything for you,
unless you provide us more information. Could you try profiling
the program. Activate debugging/logging to see if nothing wrong
is happening during glyph loading, rasterization, display, etc..

Regards,

- David Turner