Re: [Devel] FT_TRACE problems

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] FT_TRACE problems
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:48:55 +0100

Hi Pontus,

Pontus Lidman a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking into writing a freetype module. However, when I #define
> FT_DEBUG_LEVEL_ERROR and FT_DEBUG_LEVEL_TRACE in
> include/freetype/config/ftoption.h, I get lots of compilation errors
> of this kind:
>
> /home/pontus/reiser/cln/freetype2/src/winfonts/winfnt.c:149:7: warning:
> pasting "FT_Message" and "(" does not give a valid preprocessing token
>
> This occurs on all instances of FT_TRACEx(("text")), so no tracing
> works. Without tracing it's a bit hard to see what happens, so I'm
> pretty stuck. I'm using current freetype2 CVS. Any advice is
> appreciated.

The trace/error macros use the "##" directive, whose behaviour
is defined strictly by the ANSI C specification

It seems that the preprocessor used by your compiler isn't
ANSI compliant !?

Until now, Win32-lcc is the only compiler that we've seen that doesn't
support this directive correctly. It is thus impossible to compile
FreeType 2 in debug mode with it.. I'd really like to know which
compiler you're using ??

Note that given that the release build works well with it, I don't
think we're too interested in "fixing" the sources to accomodate
non-compliant compilers.

Regards,

- David

PS: By the way, for anyone interested in using a _very_ fast compiler on
    Win32 _during_ development, I'd now recommend the free command-line
    Borland C++ compiler, as it's really a lot better..