Re: [Devel] Bitmap font file reading progress

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Bitmap font file reading progress
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 12:26:00 -0800

> 1- Use the xc/lib/font/bitmap code of XFree86.

You should be able to take this code and plug the existing FreeType streams
drivers underneath.  This code may well be the only definitive way of
learning what PCF format is like; I don't recall writing any documentation
that described the current PCF format.  The original Digital spec was a
bit broken.

For PCF, it may be just as easy to steal the (trivial) reader and plug it
into your own framework though.

I'd recommend using Mark's BDF reader instead of the X one; support for
vertical writing would be nice and X's reader will never need it.

Besides, I'm hoping to *never execute that code again*...

address@hidden   XFree86 Core Team              SuSE, Inc.