RE: Shadows and Borders

From: Feinberg, Matthew
Subject: RE: Shadows and Borders
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 20:52:45 -0400

There's nothing built into FreeType that I know of, if that's what you
mean.  IIRC, there was some talk a while ago on the list about stroking
glyph outlines -- you might try searching the mailing list archives, or
maybe someone else on the list can help.

As for shadows, it depends what kind.  The easiest thing is to draw the
text twice.  First draw it in either a dark color or with alpha blending
(or both) to get the shadow, then draw it again in the foreground color
to get the text.  You want to apply some kind of transformation to the
shadow when you draw it so it's not covered up by the text :o)  The
simplest thing is to just to translate the shadow-- draw it a pixel or
two off to the side and down, then draw the text on top of it.  With the
right transformations you could probably also create other kinds of
shadow styles.

--Matthew