Re: Formatting nit: quoting

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Formatting nit: quoting
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 02:05:10 +0200 (CEST)

> Thanks to the CVS messages, I see that you use this style of quotes in
> comments:
>
>   `quote'
>
> 1) I know this is a common habit, but strictly speaking it is wrong:
> the backtick is defined as "GRAVE ACCENT". I know that some fonts
> have a reverse quote in that position, but that is wrong, too...

It is goold old TeX usage: ` and ' are eventually converted to opening
and closing quotes.  Since I've done the rest of the library in the
same way I want to stay uniformly.

> 1) I think it's a misplaced attempt to create nice typography with a
> tool (ie. the ascii char set) that isn't capable of doing so.  It's
> abusing the visual properties of certain fonts that are definitely
> not standard.

Do you have any better choice?  I want to have two different
characters for beginning and ending a quotation -- note that we
eventually try to take the source file comments for printing the
documentation.