Re: font rendering

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: font rendering
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:04:03 +0200

Hi Allen,

> Do you know offhand, if the rendering output of the font code will be
>
> a. a monochrome pixel map (one bit per pixel)
> b. a color pixel map at 8, 16, or 32 bits per pixel (BPP)
> c. if 16 bpp, will it be in 5-5-5 format or 5-6-5 format? (the former is
> preferable)

The glyph bitmap returned by FreeType 2 is either a 1-bit monochrome
bitmap, or an 8-bit anti-aliased one (with 256 gray levels, 0 being
for background, 255 for foregroung).

You should look at the field "face->glyph->bitmap.pixel_mode" to
see in which format it is. Possible values are "ft_pixel_mode_mono"
 and "ft_pixel_mode_grays" if I remember correctly.

You can also check the definition of the FT_Bitmap type in
<freetype/ftimage.h>

The library doesn't deal directly with color, composition, etc.. because
this is the work of a graphics library. The demonstration program come
with a very simple one that is used to display gray-level pixmaps on
various platforms, if you need an example, but this is not part of
the font library per-se..

Cheers,

- David