Autohinting concerns [was: type1z vs. type1 charstrings processing.]

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: Autohinting concerns [was: type1z vs. type1 charstrings processing.]
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 08:07:55 -0400 (EDT)

My concern has to do with global hints.  Glyph hints can probably be
safely ignored, but global hints turn on/off overshhoot supression, in
addition to giving some information about standard stem widths.

In addition, I know a Type 1 font (no need to go to CID fonts to get
these) can also have counter control hints, but only if certain
key/value pairs are defined in the Private dictionary, and that the
hints which are counter controlled do not fall with the zones defined
by /BlueValues.  Which is a global hint structure.

I guess I will be reading the autohint white paper shortly and
perusing the charstrings parser/autohint code to make sure my concerns
are nullified.

Tom