Re: Weirdness with FT_Alloc [was: OpenType with CFF outlines]

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: Weirdness with FT_Alloc [was: OpenType with CFF outlines]
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:45:31 +0200

Werner LEMBERG a écrit :

> > Speaking of Alphas, I tried freetype2's latest snapshot on a DEC
> > Unix box (can't stand the name Tru64 UNIX), and got all kins of
> > unaligned access errors.  Ghostscript used to get these all of the
> > time, and it was because of weirdness in memory allocation
> > (returning pointers that didn't align on an 8 byte boundary).
>
> This shouldn't happen.  Can you give more details?  Some hot spots
> where this happens?  We have an `FT_ALIGNMENT' macro (set to 8 by
> default) which probably has to be used more often...

The FT_ALIGNEMENT macro is only used in the scan-line converter I
believe.. The rest of the FreeType 2 code shouldn't be dependent on
memory alignment..

We don't do any trick with memory blocks either, as ft_alloc simply
calls the standard "malloc" in all versions of "ftsystem.c". Do you
have a custom implementation ??

I would be interested in seeing traces of bus errors however, just
in case :-)

- David