Re: [Cjk] separate ttf2pk package? (fwd)

From: Pavel Kankovsky
Subject: Re: [Cjk] separate ttf2pk package? (fwd)
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 00:03:28 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, David Turner wrote:

> Moreover, I would even separate the RPMs of the FreeType library
> itself, and those of the test programs (as some unfortunately rely on
> X11 being installed, which causes problems for people who want to
> install the library it on servers with no X11)..

In fact, they are already separate. The "official" specfile builds three
packages: freetype (runtime, i.e. the shared library, message catalogues),
freetype-devel (static library and headers), and freetype-demo (ftdump,
ftview etc.; contrib programs are not included), and AFAIK other packages
(e.g. Redhat's own rpm, Debian package) are split in a similar way.

It is quite easy to build several packages out of a single source (both
with rpm and dpkg). In fact, I started adding freetype-contrib to our
freetype.spec some time ago (but I have never finished it due to the lack
of free time); OTOH, Mr Pilch's observation an attempt to give one of the
resulting packages its own specific version number would make things
somewhat ugly is correct.

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."