Re: bug report and troubles linking

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: bug report and troubles linking
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 09:44:42 +0200

Hi Nathan,

> Hi,
>   I'm working on putting the freetype2 engine into gnome-canvas.  I've
> just been working through the ft2 code and testing the demos.  Something
> I've noticed is that with ftstring at particular (seemingly) arbitrary
> angles letters drop out.  It seems to be a hinting problem, except that it
> only surfaces when _not_ hinting.

Yes, this is a known problem, and comes from a bug in the standard
scan-converter which, apparently, is unable to render certain rotated
glyphs.

You can switch to use the "smooth" scan-converter using the "g" key, and
you'll see that the glyphs are all hinted (and renderer) properly. The fact
that these artefact only happen during hinting is probably coincidental..

The "standard" scan-converter will probably be ditched in a near future.
Actually, I'm currently looking for another bug that seems to prevent
vertical drop-out detection at small pixel size too..

The smooth renderer will become the default for anti-aliased rendering.
Note that it was recently completed this week and that you should try to
download the latest version through CVS, ViewCVS or one of our mirrors..

>   Secondly, I'm having a bit of trouble getting the build environment
> right.  I've copied the libfreetype.a file into my project dir, copied the
> include dir into ~/include/freetype2, modified the headers to point to the
> correct files and linked with
>
> address@hidden canvas]$ make
> gcc -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -L/home/njh/lib -L../qoca -lesd -lICE
> -lSM -ldb -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11
> -lm  -lgnome -lgnomesupport -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl -lgdk_pixbuf
> -lgnomecanvaspixbuf  libfreetype.a ./canvas3.o -o canvas3
> ./canvas3.o: In function `main':
> ./canvas3.o(.text+0x2a): undefined reference to `FT_Init_Freetype'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [canvas3] Error 1
>
> I'm not 100% up on the use of static libraries, but this should work?  The
> code compiles without hitch.

FT_Init_FreeType is defined in "src/base/ftinit.c" which should normally
compile as "obj/ftinit.o", during a normal build this file should be added
the libfreetype.a.

Can you check that this function is correctly there (use a utility like
'nm' to list the symbols of the library) ?

Best Regards,

- David