Re: wanted: font archive

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: wanted: font archive
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 21:05:36 -0700 (MST)

I just reread the Arphic license.  It has imperfections, but I don't
think any of them causes a serious problem.

    Quote: "If the modified fonts normally reads commands interactively when
    run, you must cause it,

This may be a little silly, but I think it won't cause any practical
inconvenience since the condition will never occur.

    Secondly, modifying fonts causes problems if your changes affect the
    metrics: documents may change in length, etc.  This is the same problem
    that led to the creation of the LaTeX (...) Public License which says that
    if you change things without the approval of the author you have to change
    the name.  I think this is a requirement that would benefit everyone.

It was a bad decision to use this requirement for LaTeX,
and there is no reason to use it here.  Licenses should not impose
legal requirements for mere quality.  Users can insist on quality
by choosing which programs (or fonts) to use and which not to use.