Re: Calculating Line Advance

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: Calculating Line Advance
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:52:44 +0100

Hi Matthew,

  Found a very old question that nobody answered to while sorting
  my email:

> This is probably a naive question, but how does one go about calculating
> line advance for a TrueType font at a given point size and DPI.  That
> is, number of pixel to add to the Y coordinate of the baseline of a line
> of text to get the Y coordinate of the baseline of the next line of
> text.
>
> I've tried several different methods of calculating this, none of which
> seem to match anything that Windows does.
>
> Does anyone know what the correct calculation is?

I believe it is clearly documented in the Windows SDK, including the
brain-dead relationships between the tmMetrics and otmMetrics..

Whatever, what methods did you try, and what are the differences ?
I'd be interested to have your numbers on the problem (or maybe you
already solved it ??)

- David