some more issues with the new API

From: Stefan Seefeld
Subject: some more issues with the new API
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:49:56 -0500

I'v a couple of other issues with FT2 which are mostly
naming and type conventions. One is the following:

FT_Library is defined as a FT_LibraryRec_ *, yet
function take a pointer to a Library as argument,
thus you end up with a double indirection. Why is
FT_Library a pointer ?

To make another point clear from one of my last mails:

with your glyph slot approach, you loose thread safety.
You can't dereference the current glyph safely since it
can at any time get invalidated through a parallel call
to Load_Glyph in a different thread. I propose you decouple
glyphs from their faces in that faces still act as a
glyph factory, but they don't return a pointer to an
internal static object, rather they return a heap allocated
object which the caller of Load_Glyph is to delete once he
is done.

Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique