Re: Glyph Bitmap Caching in FreeType

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: Glyph Bitmap Caching in FreeType
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 15:19:34 +0100

Hi again,

"Feinberg, Matthew" a écrit :

> I know that FreeType 1.x doesn't do any caching of glyph bitmaps.
>
> However, I understand that FreeType 2 will be able to render strings of
> text rather than just individual glyphs.  If this is the case, does
> FreeType 2 have some mechanism for caching glyph bitmaps, or does it at
> least provide hooks so that the application may cache bitmaps?  Or am I
> completely missing something major here...?

Actually, FreeType 2 itself will not be able to render string of texts,
as it will still be a "font service". However, we'll very much probably
provide some optional components in order to perform the following:

  - glyph caching
  - advanced text layout (possibly through OpenType Layout)

It will be up to the client application to use these additional services
to render text..

Hope it's clear :-)

- David