Re: more FT2 Mac ponderings

From: Benjamin Fry
Subject: Re: more FT2 Mac ponderings
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 17:16:59 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Just van Rossum wrote:

> >Note however that I'd very much like to be able to parse Mac font files
> >directly on other platforms too, even if it is not a top priority..
>
> See above... Main issue: it would increase the complexity of my
> contribution by a factor of 10, while achieving dubious extra functionality.

i agree with just on the 'main issue'. perhaps the thing to do for the
other platforms is to include apps that can convert the mac's
FOND/NFNT/LWFN/etc. files to something more useful on other platforms..
i've done such a thing in java before (including full resource fork
parsing from a windows machine..) so if there is consensus on what might
be useful i could look into implementing such a beast.

as for the mac-specific implementation.. something ugly like converting
the stuff in a temporary directory and passing that filename to be opened
using the ansi streams stuff seems the most generic solution (it isolates
all the mac code best).. though ick! it's kinda gross..

B.