Re: FT2 design question

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: FT2 design question
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 12:46:45 GMT

> > >  - Multiple masters support:
> > >                  I'm studying how to add multiple master support
> > >                  to the Type 1 driver, as well as defining a
> > >                  high-level interface for it. This may change
> > >                  the layout of "FT_FaceRec" a bit, and most
> > >                  definitely "T1_FaceRec"
> >
> > You are aware of the fact that MM is basically dead? Adobe
> > announced that they will continue to support it in apps/tools that
> > support it now, but a) they won't release new MM fonts b) they've
> > dropped MM from the OT spec

But acrobat uses it...

> > As cool as MM is from a conceptual point of view, it's a nightmare to
> > support it...
> >
> That's excellent news.  I've never really understood the advantage
> of multiple master fonts from a user pĂ´int of view.  Sure, they're
> great to perform font-substitution in PDF files, but apart from that?

At least for CJK fonts it can save hundreds of Megabytes of fonts!
I'm pretty sure that font companies like Morisawa which have developed
such fonts (IIRC this has been done) won't drop MM support.  Look into
Lunde's CJKV book for an example.

I suggest to lower the priority but not to drop implementation of MM.