freetalk-dev

[Freetalk-dev] New user

From: Chuck Hallenbeck
Subject: [Freetalk-dev] New user
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 18:48:45 -0500

Hi,

I have just installed freetalk and am very impressed with it so far. I
have been using imcom, and would like to make the switch permanently.

With imcom, an alias or nickname can be used anywhere a JID is
expected. That does not seem to be the case with freetalk. What are
some uses of an alias then?

I uncommented the statements in freetalk.scm, and so the ctrl-a and
ctrl-e keys are bound to /who and /whoami. But using ctrl-a seems to
show me the entire roster, with no indication of who is connected or
not connected, nor of the status of connected users. What am I missing
here?

Also using /who directly produces no output, although /whoami produces
what the documentation says it should.

My freetalk version is:

freetalk (FreeTalk) 3.0
Copyright (C) 2005, 2006 FreeTalk Core Team.

My system is a Debian Sid distro, kernel 2.6.21, lots of ram and
speed and disk space. The freetalk software was installed from the
Debian package. It has not been customized in any way, other than
removing the comment character in freetalk.scm, and substituting my
actual JID, server, and password for the placeholders in the supplied
freetalk.scm file.

Any comments or suggestion about ways to address some of these issues
will be greatly appreciated.

Chuck

   My web site is: http://hallenbeck.ftml.net, my phone is: 1-518-334-9022,
            and I also Jabber. My JID is: address@hidden
                                --------
          National security is in your hands - guard it well.